Thursday, July 9, 2026

Beautiful Bottoms

 The scarfs of the two bottom pieces were cut on July 3rd and 4th, and glued together on July 5th and 6th.  Sorry, no pictures.

This week I lofted the outlines of the bottom from the plans to the plywood. The plans give measurements at each of the frame locations, every 30 inches.  To get a better fit, I plotted this using a drafting program on my computer and fit a 'spline' to those measurements.  Then captured measurements every 12 inches.  Lofting both sets of measurements to the plywood.

I pegged some small nails at each of the lofted points.  Then down to my local lumber store for a 12-foot long, straight piece of molding and bent it to the nails, holding it in place with weights. Tracing this gave a nice curve.

After aligning the two bottom layers, I secured them together with a dozen screws. Cutting both bottom pieces simultaneously with a jig saw.  There were a few places where the cut was either not perpendicular or wobbly from having a hard time keeping to the line.  These I cleaned up using 60-grit sand paper on the random-orbital sander.

Here's a few pictures of the completed bottoms as of July 9th.  (The beer bottle and can are for size perspective, and if you don't know what size a beer bottle/can is... that's just un-American!)



 

Finished size of the bottoms is roughly 5 feet wide by 17 feet long.  The bow certainly looks more pointy than it does on the plans, but the overall curves are beautiful to see in person!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment