Friday, July 10, 2026

Purdy

 The first surface, of the four, received the initial coat of epoxy.  It's verry purdy...

When they were cut they were raised off the table by some blocks.  I added more blocks to separate the two so that I could coat the edges of both with epoxy at the same time.

It took 15 minutes to mix the first batch and coat the edges.  Then another hour and 5 minutes to complete the top.  I used a 4 inch foam roller and a old paint roller tray, mixing up small batches of epoxy.  It took 8 or 9 little batches of epoxy (6 to 8 pumps from the epoxy jugs in each batch).

I have little idea of what actual quantity of epoxy it took. I suppose I could have weighed the epoxy jugs before and after.  Maybe I'll do that on the next surface. 

I only intend to give the bottoms one coat of epoxy at this time.  Two of the surfaces will eventually be laminated together with an epoxy glue, so this initial wetting-out coat is fine.  The bottom surface will be the bottom of the hull and get completely fiber-glassed with all those coats of epoxy, so this one coat now is good. The top of the top layer will be the inside of the boat, but that will receive more coats of epoxy during the stitch-and-glue process and then be painted.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment