Sunday, July 19, 2026

Stem Post progress

 Found time to head to the club (RiversWest Small Craft Center) on Saturday during one of their open-houses.  They hold two open-houses per month open to the public.

With help from a long-time member we got the band-saw set and the dust-collection system on.  We first set the band-saw's fence to the width of my straight edge board, then we screwed the straight edge to the piece, aligned to the drawn line of the intended cut.  Flipped it upside down and with the straight edge against the saw's fence, ran it through the saw. I steered and pushed it through the blade and he supported the other end. It's a good sized band-saw and cut through the 3 inch thick piece in no time.

Here's are the inner and outer stem pieces shown with the transom behind them.
 

To help prevent it warping from drying out too quickly, I coated the pieces with epoxy.

 There's still bevels and tapers to cut on these pieces, but that will wait until the hull is stitched together so that I'll have the actual hull to take measurements and angles from.

No comments:

Post a Comment