Saturday, August 8, 2026

Inwales

 The last of the preliminary epoxy coatings have been completed on the plywood panels. After some sanding they're ready for the stitch-and-glue hull assembly.

The final detail to do was to notch the top corners of the frames to allow for the inwales. I haven't done this because I had no idea how big to cut them.  The plans call for a one inch by two inch piece of lumber, but anyone familiar with stock sold in any lumber store knows there's no such thing as a one inch by two inch.  What they call a two-by-four actually measures out as 1-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches, and a one-by-two which should be 3/4 inch by 1-1/2 inches truly measures out as something different.

I've now purchased the wood for the inwales and the actual measurement is 0.70 inches by 1.50 inches.  That's roughly 11/16ths of an inch not 3/4 and far from a true one inch. Though this is a far smaller piece of wood than a full 1" by 2" piece, it's function is not highly critical. It may help form the curve of the sides and sheer-line, but I think it's main function is merely a board to screw the sides, decking, and rubrails into.


 I bought two 16-foot lengths and one 8-foot length.  When scarfed together will give me the two 20 foot inwales to go at the top edge of each side. The wood is straight grain fir. It was a little spendy, but there will be a limited number of such boards on this build.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment