The build of this Redwing will utilize the 'Stitch and Glue' method of hull construction. The traditional 'glue and screw' method involves constructing frames and then attaching each board, or piece of plywood, to the frames a single piece at a time. With the stitch-and-glue method the bottom and sides of the hull are first created as large, complete pieces and put together into a hull in a single step. I'm within a couple of weeks of this dramatic step, when the pieces of plywood suddenly become a boat.
Here's some pictures of my stitch testing. This test let me check the drill bit size and the hole spacing (about 1 inch from the joint). Even when the tie-wrap is tightened fully, the joint can still be moved (with considerable pushing) a good 1/4 inch in any direction. The tie-wraps are rated 50 lbs, so I plan on spacing them out quite a bit. Four ties on the frame-bottom joints, two on the frame-side joints, and s three on the bottom-side joint in-between each frame.
I've pre-drilled all the stitching holes with one exception. On the side to bottom joint I've drilled the sides, but not the bottom. With the bottom's curve it was too difficult to determine where to drill the corresponding holes, so I'll wait until the stitch assembly to do those.
While the panels are still flat on a table, I sanded the epoxy in preparation of the next gluing.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment